Hello, this is Laura Lee Rose. I am a speaker and author. I am an expert in time and project management.
I help busy professionals and entrepreneurs create effective systems so that they can comfortably delegate to others, be more profitable and have time to enjoy life even if they don’t have time to learn new technology or train their staff. . I have a knack for turning big ideas into on time and profitable projects.
At the end of the day, I give people peace of mind.
Today’s question came from a busy professional interested in freeing some time and space to advance in his career.
How can women navigate office politics while staying professional.
Regardless of whether you are male or female, the most effective way to get ahead in an office environment is to do the following:
1) Avoid gossip, rumors and negative judgments. Stay professional at all times.
2) Stay in control of your emotions. Stay calm and don’t take anything personally. If you feel yourself becoming emotional, excuse yourself and regain your composure and confidence. (I have some great tips on how to regain your composure without leaving the room as well).
3) Consistently quantify your results and performance toward the company goals, mission and visions.
4) Publicize your results in metrics of $$: increased revenue or decreased costs; increased customer satisfaction or reduce time to market.
5) Think like the owner and treat the company like your company, regardless of your job title. Take the initiative beyond your defined title, role and responsibilities. Be responsible for creating leads, sales, promotions and illustrating that your company is the thought leader in their field. Companies are in the business to make money.
6) Compliment, acknowledge and publicly recognize other team member’s contributions to your successes.
7) Become an effective business networker, team lead and team builder toward the company’s bottom line. Recognize that you can accomplish more with a complementary team or entourage around you. If your manager is the only one that knows your value, you are doing a disservice to yourself.
In general, when you continue to focus on the larger corporate picture, you will be able to stay unattached to temporary situations and avoid many of the in-fighting and politics. Start solving the higher-level, Big Picture, COMMON GOALS instead of the silos and individual project concerns. Focus on the company WIN versus individual wins.
If you are interested in a more detail program on these things, we have offer several intensive workshops from the 6 Critical Training Areas. (Technical Mastery, Exceptional Performance, Business Networking That Makes the Difference, True Leadership – the transformation from Worker Bee to Queen Bee, Communication that Matters, The Difference between playing with time and controlling it).
I know your situation is different. Why don’t we schedule an appointment, where I get to know more about your unique situation? And then I will be happy to make recommendations on what your best steps are moving forward. To schedule an appointment, book it HERE.
With enough notice, it would be my honor to guest-speak at no cost to your group organization.
I have a monthly presentation on “3 Keys to saying YES to everything but on your own terms”. To sign up for the complimentary course, go to www.lauraleerose.com/Say-Yes